Glad that the new solution B solved the problem, although I would have guessed the effect of an old solution in the opposite direction. Alkalinity, which is provided by the carbonate solution, speeds up development. Older carbonate would mean less alkalinity, therefore slower development.
It could be my weight adjustment for absorbtion of water was significantly off when I made the old carbonate solution (Solution B) in March of 2005. That was in the epoch of BNF (before Nelsonfoto Forums) Rumor has it that Nelsonfoto was in an incubator for sometime before the mass migration took place. In fact, we are celebrating this month as Nelsonfotos' second anniversary.
BNF, in the spring of 2005, I brought up the same question in Pnet, if my ancient chemicals were still viable to make my old Beutler formula. I got a great deal of advice and many methods for calculating the proper amount of additional sodium carbonate I'd need to compensate for water that was tabsorbed over twenty years by my once monohydrated sodium carbonate.
I didn't keep notes, but I think I added a lot more than 17%, which is what is normally recommended for substituting monohydrated for anhydrous/dessicated sodium carbonate. This time I used exactly 17%. The appearance of the recent negs look right for density contrast and tonal range. Now, I'll try adjusting the speed index of Efke's KB25.
In my notes taken from "Developing," by C.I. Jacobson, and R.E. Jacobson, the father & son recommended increasing speed by 2 DIN (2/3 of a stop) I shot the last roll at 40 ISO rather than box speed of 25 ISO. I don't see the same detail in the lower shadow areas (Zones 2-3 ?) which I used to get. I'll try 32 ISO on next roll.
I see that you have another pointing down image now and it worked.
When I leaned over the fence to shoot (w/o bullets) the lambs and duck, the LOS of camera lens was straight down (90%.) While standing on a high bridge overlooking the Saxonville waterfall, displayed above, I wouldn't dare lean over so far and point the camera straight down, because I've developed acrophobia in my old age
I will use both battery tips (yours and Glenn's): add a brass washer to each bottom contact and bend down the upper battery contact band to increase spring action and ensure a better contact with batteries.
What I'd liked to have seen on my monitor, in the pics displayed, is more of a sense of slippery wet rocks, and a nicer pooling of water on flat surfaces. Nonetheless, I definitely see the 2nd roll is much, much, better than my first test roll. Let's see what roll #3 looks like. I nearly finished it today and tomorrow I'll soup it. When I can produce negatives that have the full characteristics of my old negatives, I'll put an album of new shots on my Flickr site.
I'll know when I'm there: when highlights don't block up, when the tonal range "sings" and the negs produces a wide range of textures that you can feel, and the prints (or view on monitor) need no manipulation. The only down side is Beutler works best with slow film and under low lighting conditions, you need a mighty steady hand, which I no longer have, or a tripod.
Thanks for brass washer tip. My bottom battery contacts are also raised.
I'll bend the top spring contacts a bit----gingerly