Nelsonfoto Forums
September 18, 2014, 02:42:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Nelson Foto Forums!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ansco Titan 20; 6x6 folder  (Read 2097 times)
ksmattfish

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 12, 2005, 12:41:19 AM »

Ansco Titan 20; 6x6 folder
90mm f/3.5 - f/22 anastigmat lens
shutter sppeds from bulb to 1/400th sec
no rangefinder
no double exposure prevention
old style flash connection
cool, color coordinated DOF scale

I love it.

sandeha
Retired Pirate
Prolific Poster

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 12:46:05 AM »

No surprise - very good results.  What film here?

nelsonfoto
Administrator
Prolific Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 02:49:15 AM »

Nice results. Another mid-western member. We need more of us.
Wimpler
Prolific Poster

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 04:13:12 AM »

I was wondering wether you would mind to give us some details.  How did you focus?  Did you guess?  What film did you use?  Handheld or on a tripod?  What aperture and shutter speed?

I'd love to take out my folders more, but most are guess focus and I can't find an accesory rangefinder big enough to use with glasses.
nelsonfoto
Administrator
Prolific Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 05:07:25 AM »

Wimpler - guess focus is not as difficult as you might expect. Use of smaller aperture further simplifies the matter, use of hyperfocal, etc.
connealy
call me mike
Prolific Poster

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 05:58:52 AM »

Great results.  What's the extra knob for on the top deck?

nelsonfoto
Administrator
Prolific Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 06:13:31 AM »

Echoing the curiosity about film type/speed/dev routine, etc.
jcapodiferro
Frequent Contributor

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 07:16:03 AM »

Great results from that lens!!!!  I'd also be interested in what scanner you used.

Jay

Graham Serretta
Prolific Poster

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 08:05:37 AM »

Cool.

Graham S
melek
Web editor
Prolific Poster

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 09:31:38 AM »

I like what you've done with the square format. I read recently on dpreview a large number of comments about the square format being abandoned decades ago and how if you shoot square, you should just crop it into a horizontal, blah, blah.

I see it has the "famous" Anastigmat lens. A lot of people associate "anastigmat" with a low-cost, low-quality optic. And that simply isn't true.

Great job and nice compositions. Great use of the 6x6.

ksmattfish

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 11:31:12 AM »

The film in all the shots is Arista Pro 400, which I have always heard is really Ilford HP5.  I rated it ISO 400.  I believe that these were developed with Diafine, but some may have been developed using an Arista brand, phenidone based, liquid developer at 1:9.  

I use a 64 oz ss tank for developing.  When I use Diafine I soak the film in solution A (with no pre-wet) for 4 min with minimal agitation.  Then soak in solution B for 4 min, giving the tank 2 wrist twists per min.  Water bath rinse, and TF-4 fixer.

When using the Arista developer I follow pretty typical developing procedures:  pre-wet, dev for 7 min at 68F, agitate for the first 30 sec, and then with a few wrist twists every 45 sec, water rinse instead of stop (as per TF-4 recommendation), 5 min in TF-4 fixer.

One of the big knobs on top is the winder, and the other pulls out to load the film.  The little buttons are the shutter release and the button that opens the camera when folded.

These shots were handheld.  I don't keep any sort of notes when shooting this camera, but I normally try to keep the shutter speed at 1/100, 1/200, or 1/400.  If I have to I'll go 1/50, but it's pushing my luck.

Focusing is by guestimation.  I was horrible at estimating distances when I started using this camera; now I'm not too bad.  I'm pretty good at estimating by counting paces.  I also try to keep the camera at f/11 or f/16 when possible to help with the guess focusing.  My first 10 rolls or so were pretty much out of focus, but since then I hit a lot more often than miss.

This anastigmat lens is the best of that design I've ever used.  The lens says Ansco, but I've heard rumors it's made by Wollensak.  I've done a shoot out comparing the Titan to my Zeiss Ikonta C (6x9) with tessar lens, and with 14"x prints I can't see a difference, except in the corners.

A Microtek i900 was used to scan the negs.

I found my first Ansco Titan in an antique mall for $15.  It was in pretty bad shape, but the shutter seemed to work.  I cleaned it up, patched up the bellows, and let it sit in a sunny window for a few weeks to clear some of the lens fungus.  I was so impressed by the test roll that I searched for a cleaner camera, and now I have 4.

I love this camera because it does a good job as long as flash isn't required, and it's not much bigger than an over stuffed wallet.  The camera and a few rolls of film fit easily into a jacket pocket, and even my pants pockets.  I also like carrying it in a small camera bag with my Widelux.  I like the combo of pano and square.

Dean Williams
The cheese whisperer...
Prolific Poster

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 01:08:57 PM »

Impressive results.  Just goes to show us how good the oldies can be.  Nice looking camera, too.

Dean W
Filled with a vacuum

It's been forever...  Woo-hoo!
Larry;  Uh, I fergit.
jcapodiferro
Frequent Contributor

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 01:19:28 PM »

Matt, I took a look at your website.  You have some excellent photos!! If you ever find that you no longer have a need for the Widelux, please let me know.  Smiley

Jay

Wimpler
Prolific Poster

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 02:10:57 PM »

I was already searching for one.  I should however use the ones I have more often.  I currently have

6x6 :a AGFA isolette I, AGFA isolette L, Zeiss Ikon nettar
6x9: kodak vollenda 620, ihagee ultrix, beier beirax
9x12: Ica volta

Has anybody ever used these?  Any opinions?
ImageMaker
B&W Geek
Prolific Poster

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 02:20:20 PM »

Wimpler, I know nothing about the Ihagee Ultrix, but all the other cameras you list there have good to excellent reputations.  I've got a Nettar 6x6 with Novar-Anastigmat, and it's quite decent, though I think not quite as sharp as the Agnar in my Speedex 4.5 (OTOH, the Zeiss bellows don't leak).  Vollenda 620 is a *very* nice little camera, if you don't mind respooling and have a few 620 spools.

And while a plate camera old enough to have the Ica name (pre-1926) is likely to have a slower lens (f/6.3 or f/7.7 are common, though I have an Ica Ideal 225 that came with an f/4.5 Tessar), that just means you can't open it up enough to show off its aberrations; rather, you're shooting at the sweet spot all the time.  Wink  Get a box of Fomapan 100 from J&C Photo, Google around for the various methods of developing sheet film that don't involve standing in the dark from opening the first dark slide until the last sheet is in the fixer, and go make nice images with those BIG negatives.  Smiley

Never let yourself spend 25 years away from the darkroom...
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: