Nelsonfoto Forums
September 01, 2014, 11:30:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Nelson Foto Forums!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yashica 124G or Minolta Autocord III  (Read 3783 times)
Brad Bireley
Prolific Poster

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 25, 2009, 12:48:25 PM »

What would be better a mint 124G or a Minolta Autocord III ?

sandeha
Retired Pirate
Prolific Poster

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 01:14:15 PM »

Do you want to yell "Hey I'm going to take a photo!" (that damn noisy winder) ... or just take the photo?  Wink

OpenWater
Prolific Poster

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 02:40:43 PM »

Never having had both I can't really answer this, but I like my Yashicamat 124G.  The G model is kind of silly - "real gold" contacts for a so-so light meter, but the photos from the camera are excellent and it handles well.  (I always use a handheld meter.) I understand the older Yashicamats are more durable, but mine is still going strong.
joho35mm
Prolific Poster

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 03:30:15 PM »

Having used both a Yashica-Mat 124G and a Minolta Autocord III, I would go with the Autocord - it's a much smoother camera to use, and I felt that the Rokkor lens had a more defined "bite" than the Yashinon (which, while sharp, didn't have the same high level sharpness and smooth bokeh that the Rokkor boasted). The Autocord also seemed to be built to higher tolerances; the Yashica-Mat's greatest shortcoming in this respect was the wind lever, which felt rough and sounded like a coffee grinder when cranked.
Nick Merritt
Prolific Poster

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 08:21:50 PM »

I'd have to agree with Joseph's assessment.  I just recently took a roll of 220 with my CDS III and the pictures were tremendously good -- right up there with those of my Rolleis with "better" lenses.  This has always been my experience with the Autocords.

The Yashicamats get my nod in terms of ease of use, though.  Yes, the advance crank can be a little noisy, but it's kind of a buzz, not creaky.  Also, in my experience it moves with little effort; the Autocord's crank can be a little stiff.  And the 124G has an f2.8 viewing lens, brighter than the Autocord's f3.2.  It does make a difference.  Finally, setting aperture and shutter speeds is as good as it gets with the 124G (yes, Rollei came up with the design first, but Yashica improved it in terms of smoothness).  The Autocord's method is fiddly and tied into the exposure value system, and can be easily bumped off its setting if you aren't careful.

Both meter pretty well, I find.  But while the 124G needs a 625 battery (easy to find solutions for this), the Autocord takes an unusual battery -- PX-1 (I think), which you have to go online to find.  Thank God for Exel, since I have never seen one of these in a store.  It reminds me of one of those chocolate covered cherry candies, only in chrome!

In short, if you can find the Autocord, buy it.  But the 124G will give you excellent results, and really is a joy to use.
Glenn Thoreson
The old grouch
Prolific Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 09:07:17 PM »

Never had an Autocord. Have a mint 124G and I think it's a wonderful camera.
Now, you'll think I've lost my mind on this one, but my favorite TLR is an old unheard of GenFlex. The eyeball on this thing s so sharp it hurts to look at the prints and the color rndition is unlike anything I've ever used. I've only heard of two of these things. Gene M has the other one. I posted some winter shots a couple of years ago, taken with the thing. 

Glenn from Wyoming

"I reject your reallity and substitute my own"
( Adam Savage )
shadowfox
Prolific Poster

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 06:10:22 AM »

the Yashinon (which, while sharp, didn't have the same high level sharpness and smooth bokeh that the Rokkor boasted).

I'm glad someone else notices this too about the Yashinon lens.  There's nothing wrong with it, but it also doesn't have that special look.

I've yet to try out the fabled Autocord, but at the moment, the tiny Super Ricohflex delivers the results and that thing is so small, it's more likely for me to just bring it and use it.

Brad Bireley
Prolific Poster

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 06:20:46 AM »

Well it looks like I'm getting the Autocord! However I think it is the "I" version according to the serial number "423537".  I'm also getting the Rolleinar I closeup set with a Rolleiparkeil !

anastigmat

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 05:05:19 PM »

Hello Glenn,
I also have a GenFlex, unfortunately with a broken focus mechanism. The focusing knob just turns without engaging anything. Your post makes me think it may be worthwhile to have a look inside and see if it can be fixed.
Do you know if taking this camera apart is a major operation or would it be possible for someone with apprentice mechanical skills?
Glenn Thoreson
The old grouch
Prolific Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 03:29:21 PM »

I've never had to take mine apart but it shouldn't be all that bad. The focus rack may be bent or have a tooth nocked off. I hope you can fix it. If all else fails maybe you could put the lens and shutter on something else that takes the same focal length. It's too good to waste. Cheesy

Glenn from Wyoming

"I reject your reallity and substitute my own"
( Adam Savage )
Michael_I
Prolific Poster

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 05:13:40 AM »

had both, sold the yashica.
I like the helical focus,  luminosity of focus screen and lenses more on the minolta

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: